Warm greetings from the
ever-so-tropical Lake Worth! It’s been quite a ride the past few days. I hope
you find some of my recent travels interesting and take away some of the dos-and-don’ts of Florida.
Day
2: Beachin’ It and Shopping
Friday
morning consisted of a lovely late-start complete with coffee and oatmeal. We
awoke after a full night’s sleep (necessary after being on the road, of course)
and helped ourselves to breakfast. I topped my oatmeal with berries, pecans,
sliced almonds, granola, almond milk, and viilia (a Finnish yogurt-type of
dairy). Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo! We ate on the small porch/deck
outside for a pretty view of the tropical bushes and flowers that surround the
condo. As usual, us coffee lovers enjoyed a cuppa joe with some milk along with
our oatmeal to help wake us up. When the window screen in the room you’re
staying in is dark and the sunlight is blocked from entering the room, you must
find a way for your body to sense that it’s time to wake up and get out of
zonked-out mode and into full-speed-ahead mode. This leads to the next do of
your vacation. Do: Get enough rest and a
good breakfast after traveling for any extended period of time. This will keep
you energized for a full day ahead!
Mummi, Mom, and I then prepared for
a beach day. It was ideal weather out: bright, clear skies and a calm sea
spread across the horizon. I, being younger and dying to get a small
window of Lake Worth on my own (without parents, grandparents, etc... when you can't bring a friend with, you must at least get away for a little bit), decided to jog to the beach, backpack hitched
along for the ride, while the others drove. Why do I need my backpack while on
a run? To stop and take photos, if the chance presents itself! Which, of
course, it did, and I was prepared with my mini Polaroid camera in my small,
black bag. Do: Always be prepared! You
don’t want to be disappointed for not taking advantage of opportunities. We
spent about half the day at the beach swimming and tanning. If you enjoy
swimming and the ocean is calm, now is really the best time to take advantage
of long distance. Just swim out past the waves and horizontal to the shoreline
for as long as you’d like. You can head back to the shore at any time and walk
back to your proclaimed spot if you get too tired. Also, get a pair of goggles!
The water here is clear as can be, and I was wishing I had a pair. Do: Have the right equipment for whatever
activity you plan on doing. It will heighten your enjoyment of said activity. Somehow,
by some miracle, I managed to convince my mom that she needn’t be afraid of
going out a little further into the water (which was surprising due to her
shrieks after I voiced the sighting of an ocean critter), and lo-and-behold, we
discovered a sandbar! This place was absolutely perfect for just hanging out in
the water. I’ve seen sandbars commonly in lakes, but never have I gone to one
in the ocean, so this was a really interesting discovery! Added bonus: my mom
is now more amiable towards deeper waters and has grown a little more
adventurous. Upon leaving the beach, I noticed that my face was about as red as
the hat I bought in Orlando. My thoughts: well this sunburn is gonna kinda
suck. Don’t: Forget your sunscreen!
You may think you don’t need it, but trust me, you do. A good sunscreen for those of you who don't have sensitive or fair skin is Banana Boat Deep Tanning Oil. This will not only protect you from the
sun, but it will aid you in getting that gorgeous beach glow (a.k.a. tan, tan,
and more tan).
We ate lunch at the condo and
headed out to do some shopping. After exploring an antique store, I ended up
staying at Starbucks for a while to post on my blog (hellooo, wi-fi!) while Mom
and Mummi meandered off to the nearby shops. After posting, I joined them in a
little boutique called Kokonuts, which sported only the finest women’s
beachwear. Normally, I wouldn’t even think about purchasing anything from such
a pricey store, but there was a sale section in the back. Always. Shop. The
sale rack. FIRST. Seriously, you might find something you love for a tenth of
the normal price! I scored a cute bikini for $35, top and bottom included. Do: Check out boutiques you may like! If
there’s nothing cheap, just window shop for ideas, and if there’s something you
like on sale, enjoy this stroke of luck and buy it. My mom found a suit she
looks stunning in as well, and the workers were extremely helpful in finding
something right for her. If you have the funds or want to check out the sale
rack, I would definitely recommend this place! We ate dinner back at the condo,
and my mom and I ended up popping into the nearby L.A. Fitness at Boynton Beach
for a good workout. It was nice to be able to work out in a gym again sans hard
bedroom floors and makeshift equipment! After my hair began to look like I’d
been electrocuted (as it does after working out), we headed back to get some
rest.










No comments:
Post a Comment